Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Studio Blogging for Direction

I learned around mid-college that I cant just like what I paint, I have to love the process to have the piece hold meaning. I want to collect all the energy of the life that is surrounding me during periods of my life and turn my paintings into time capsules reflecting these "moments".

(The beginning of my relationship with oil paint starts with the envy I felt for those in the painting studio while I was stuck behind a computer as a graphic design major. I was not fulfilled by the medium of a mouse and felt disconnected from the computer programs that I now wish I knew. This directed me to enroll in Painting 1 my second semester, taught by Dr. Halide Salam. My college career was seriously rerouted about 2 weeks into our first project when Salam approached me on one of her rounds of our studio time and asked me directly, "what is your major?" to which I responded, "Graphic Design". To this, She responded with, "No. You are a painting major." The confidence in her response was all the direction I needed to march myself down to the art departments advisor Donna and tell her I would be pursuing a BFA in oil painting. This commitment to an unknown goal based purely on feeling shaped my perspective on the process to which I live my life. )

I want to continue to keep relearning the power of a curated process on a macro and micro scale forever. The more you commit faith into action the most unique beauty comes into existence #SpiritAnd Matter ;) . You can cherish those moments but don't get stuck once they become memories. Bravely face the transition to the next struggle or confusion and a greater "moment" will come.


I pray for my actions and influence. I pray to tunnel vision with little laziness into the direction I have faith in. I pray for those going through a struggle and for all to find a source of comfort. I pray for my family and my relationships with loved ones. I pray they know how much I love, adore, and cherish them and how they are a part of all of my happiness. I pray to feel the strengths of our families through the constant transitions of life.

2 comments: